Welcome to the Kenwood English IV Poetry Blog!

Students from Kenwood's Honors English IV classes have written poems inspired by the poems, poets and poetic forms that they've studied during this term's poetry unit. Some students wrote Ballads and Sonnets while others responded to the work of poets like e.e. cummings, Sylvia Plath and Rainer Marie Rilke. Many poems are profound, heartfelt and deeply insightful. Others are fun and lighthearted. But, all of the poems illustrate the students understanding and appreciation of the genre of poetry. We invite you to read this work and offer your comments. Thank you.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Witness

I was the witness.
I saw it all happen.
I watched it all from the coffee shop.
I saw the girl in her little white shoes
I even saw the long white hoods.
I saw them gallop up the street as a little girl sang.

The big beasts stood strong and proud.
I wonder if they knew what they were doing in town.
The little men jumped off, and one looked my way.
I stared to the sky as if I saw nothing,
And went on with my day.

Inspired By: The Ballad of Birmingham by Dudley Randall
By: David B. Period 5

6 comments:

  1. Makes me a little sad. Tells alot about the character of some people
    -Erica S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is nice, it gets really powerful towards the end.- Vanessa F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It interesting how it start out calm and everything happen at the end
    Eddie Y.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you started the second stanza with the big beasts to emphasize that the men & their horses were big. But that even if they had to be men they were little men...
    -Mariah M.

    ReplyDelete