Welcome to the Kenwood English IV Poetry Blog!

Students from Kenwood's Honors English IV classes have written poems inspired by the poems, poets and poetic forms that they've studied during this term's poetry unit. Some students wrote Ballads and Sonnets while others responded to the work of poets like e.e. cummings, Sylvia Plath and Rainer Marie Rilke. Many poems are profound, heartfelt and deeply insightful. Others are fun and lighthearted. But, all of the poems illustrate the students understanding and appreciation of the genre of poetry. We invite you to read this work and offer your comments. Thank you.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tree

Shade me with your life,

Best friend whom I only speak to when the wind opens your lips,

And rustles them into chatter,

We talk for hours,

As I sit beneath you urging to be of your stature,

But oh how moody you can be,

Attitude to match the season,

Changing sporadically,

Growing older,

Like me,

Old friend, good friend

Tree

- Inspired by Perhaps the World Ends Here by Joy Harpo
By JoVona Taylor 1st per

3 comments:

  1. Great Imagery. I think that you really turned the tree into a powerful symbol.

    -Christina Smith
    period 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good use of personification.

    -Jeffrey Weng
    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly thought you were talking about a person or a parent with a child. I love this extended metaphor, lips and leaves. Also the personification a tree being moody with an attitude
    Alexis J

    ReplyDelete