Welcome to the Kenwood English IV Poetry Blog!

Students from Kenwood's Honors English IV classes have written poems inspired by the poems, poets and poetic forms that they've studied during this term's poetry unit. Some students wrote Ballads and Sonnets while others responded to the work of poets like e.e. cummings, Sylvia Plath and Rainer Marie Rilke. Many poems are profound, heartfelt and deeply insightful. Others are fun and lighthearted. But, all of the poems illustrate the students understanding and appreciation of the genre of poetry. We invite you to read this work and offer your comments. Thank you.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Naughty by Nature

In place I stand ready to grow;
Some sprinkles of water on me so I can stand strong;
My father shines his light down on me so I would one day show;
Soon my beautiful pedals and here I belong

Stems and leaves to the world above;
And I’ll be ready for the bees and breathe new life
And wave to the doves;
And create an image of peace; No strife

But Nature somehow took another course
My father stopped shining his light
and he had no remorse;
My dim light gone as a deferred dream, not bright;

Like a bullet shooting a child I was paralyzed
Here I stood ready to grow but all the garbage took away my drive.

inspired by the Sonnet Form
by Jessica Newman P.1

No comments:

Post a Comment