Welcome to the Kenwood English IV Poetry Blog!

Students from Kenwood's Honors English IV classes have written poems inspired by the poems, poets and poetic forms that they've studied during this term's poetry unit. Some students wrote Ballads and Sonnets while others responded to the work of poets like e.e. cummings, Sylvia Plath and Rainer Marie Rilke. Many poems are profound, heartfelt and deeply insightful. Others are fun and lighthearted. But, all of the poems illustrate the students understanding and appreciation of the genre of poetry. We invite you to read this work and offer your comments. Thank you.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gone But Not Forgotten

As time goes by I still miss you.
Sitting all alone with the sky so blue,
It is so hard for me to live without you.

Seeing you at the age of two is what I recall,
Grandma your smile is what I saw.
I enjoyed the times we spent at a young age.

Erma oh why did you have to leave that way?
We all miss you from family to friends.
We all know this is not the end.

Many come up there to be with you,
I can not wait till I see you in heaven.
It has been hard for me down here.

I am so happy that you are in a better place,
God is now finally able to see your face,
You were the one to fill the empty space.

I wish you were here to see me now.
I am so big it is hard to believe,
I have come along way from the last time we met.

It has been hard for me, not to grieve,
I know I have to let go and let you be free.
When it is my time it will be more then three.

Strong, black, and beautiful, is what you are.

Inspired by: "Mid-term Break Elegy" by: Seamus Heaney
By: Latasha N Per 1

No comments:

Post a Comment