Welcome to the Kenwood English IV Poetry Blog!

Students from Kenwood's Honors English IV classes have written poems inspired by the poems, poets and poetic forms that they've studied during this term's poetry unit. Some students wrote Ballads and Sonnets while others responded to the work of poets like e.e. cummings, Sylvia Plath and Rainer Marie Rilke. Many poems are profound, heartfelt and deeply insightful. Others are fun and lighthearted. But, all of the poems illustrate the students understanding and appreciation of the genre of poetry. We invite you to read this work and offer your comments. Thank you.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mid-term Life

I waited in the emergency room dad
Counting patients as they went to the back room.
At four in the morning, mom drove me home.


In the house I found my family sad.
They'd always taken tragedies in their fright.
Momma Blossum said he was a good boy.


I ran to an embrace from a shadow,
But when I got closer I was embarrassed.
The shadow grew larger. Shoot it was me!


She told me she was sorry for my lost.
Passionate pains inquired I was his
Favorite girl that wasn't always there,


But I tried as best as I could to be there.
Three days later we arrived at the home.
There laid my lovers corpse but much lighter.


I walked up to the casket with tears raining
From my eyes, realizing he was really gone.
He wasn't coming back this time, I didn't say goodbye.


He wore a gray suit with a blue flower,
And laid in a six by three foot casket with
Neither blemishes nor red pimples filled his face.


A six times three box for every year I loved him.


inspired by Mid-term Break by Seamus Heaney
V.B. period 1

No comments:

Post a Comment