Welcome to the Kenwood English IV Poetry Blog!

Students from Kenwood's Honors English IV classes have written poems inspired by the poems, poets and poetic forms that they've studied during this term's poetry unit. Some students wrote Ballads and Sonnets while others responded to the work of poets like e.e. cummings, Sylvia Plath and Rainer Marie Rilke. Many poems are profound, heartfelt and deeply insightful. Others are fun and lighthearted. But, all of the poems illustrate the students understanding and appreciation of the genre of poetry. We invite you to read this work and offer your comments. Thank you.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Simply Put

Maybe, simply asking is too much.
They are of lack of harmony.
But ignorance grows inside of us.

You asked me to waterski,
accross the surface of a poem?
It's simply not me

But i understand

I am yellow, orange, pink and blue,
but not you, not you, not you and not you!
I know i'm magenta as barney, also green as a tree.
Now that I am, I dont expect you to be.

When i asked you,
to wear electric blue or color your apple yellow instead of red.
You smack your lips and turn your head.
Just wouldnt dare to try something new.

This is simply put.

You unwrap poems like birthday gifts,
others rather torture it.
I am as colorful as a rainbow,
So everyone can not shine as bright as a shimery red christmas bow.


Inspired by " Introduction to Poetry" By Billy Collins
By Roslyn Sipp 1st period

1 comment:

  1. I like this poem because i agree with what you're saying. I like the metaphors of the colors and repetition of the statement of i am not you.
    -Victoria Butts

    ReplyDelete