Welcome to the Kenwood English IV Poetry Blog!

Students from Kenwood's Honors English IV classes have written poems inspired by the poems, poets and poetic forms that they've studied during this term's poetry unit. Some students wrote Ballads and Sonnets while others responded to the work of poets like e.e. cummings, Sylvia Plath and Rainer Marie Rilke. Many poems are profound, heartfelt and deeply insightful. Others are fun and lighthearted. But, all of the poems illustrate the students understanding and appreciation of the genre of poetry. We invite you to read this work and offer your comments. Thank you.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Iowa

I’m going to where the grass is always greener,
To where the demeanor,
Is never
Mean.

Where a decision never equals a bad outcome;
This place isn’t suitable for some.
Where family is mistaken for friends
& friends for family.
Where I is for you
& you is for me.

I’m going home.
Not the home that I’ve been used to,
But something more relative.
A place where everyone knows how to live.

They live selfishly. That’s it. That’s all.
And life goes on & those people soon fall.
Yet again they rise,
& gratitude & care will show in their eyes.

They learn to love stronger
& pass all selfishly harmful tests.
But that’s another story so for now I digress.

Enough about others,
It’s about where I see me.

I’ll use their skills,
To better my skills,
& be filled,
With education.

Where the miscreants to the book fake it
& never make it
& pass the torch on to me

You See??

Maybe you don’t,
Not yet at least give yourself time.
For that gives me the opportunity to further shine.

& thoroughly explain to you
Where I’m about to go.
So so---

I’m going to where the geniuses stay up late
& the party-goers go in around eight.

To where my future has decided
To label this point in my life “The Best”
Because it will be, but yet again
I digress.

To where I can allow my true abilities,
& inabilities, to appear.
To see smiles from ear
To ear.

& to be apart of one.
To sometimes be the party pooper
In all the fun.

Yet it’s all fun & games;
Need I forget,
I can sometimes be the lame.

I’m headed to where inspiration
Is the word of the day.
Where I can bite down
And say—
“I can do this.”

I see me swimming in my fears
Doing the most difficult stroke—
In record time. This is no joke.

I see me being able to say
“yes I can help,
Because with this I have dealt.”

Its simple now just lean back & see,
Because in a month I’ll be in my new H-O-M-E!!

Inspired by: "Behind Grandma's House" by Gary Soto
Mariah M. Period 5

4 comments:

  1. I love not only the form of your work, but how u say you'll add what u will learn from others to yourself and ur life.
    -B. Parker

    ReplyDelete
  2. my brother just moved to Iowa and exactly its a real nice place that was a nice poem

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the beginning of this poem, it shows how the ways of people can be so different even when they dont reside far away.
    -Stacy S.

    ReplyDelete