Welcome to the Kenwood English IV Poetry Blog!

Students from Kenwood's Honors English IV classes have written poems inspired by the poems, poets and poetic forms that they've studied during this term's poetry unit. Some students wrote Ballads and Sonnets while others responded to the work of poets like e.e. cummings, Sylvia Plath and Rainer Marie Rilke. Many poems are profound, heartfelt and deeply insightful. Others are fun and lighthearted. But, all of the poems illustrate the students understanding and appreciation of the genre of poetry. We invite you to read this work and offer your comments. Thank you.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Game of Chance

I stepped up to the line.
I paced myself. Thought it out.
Then threw the dice & rolled nine.


Nine has always been my lucky number.
For it tells me things my blind eye can’t see,
So I stayed awake to watch you slumber.


And while you slept I picked up the dice & rolled again;
I watched the sum of two numbers add 1 to 9
To now equal 10.


But in a dice game, there’s no such thing as 8+2,
So ironically enough, a 5 belonged to him,
& a 5 belonged to you.




However, I don’t want you to be filled
With such disgrace. For I watched your love
Go from “I just want to take my time” to “I need space.”


So I’ll just pick up my dice and shake
In hopes for something different. But as I
Watch the dice jump from my hand & take the fall,
I’ll think to myself 5’s not so lucky of a number after all.


Inspired by: "One Art" by Elizabeth Bishop
Mariah M. Period 5

No comments:

Post a Comment